Bekijk deze pagina in het Nederlands
Hanau and Original Hanau are brand names owned by Heraeus Holding GmbH and Heraeus Noblelight GmbH. The origin of Heraeus
to sunlight. Their artificial sunray lamps also laid the foundation for tanning salons and today’s tanning market.
In 1890 physicist and later chief developer Dr. Richard Küch (1860-1915) joined the company led by his schoolmates Heinrich and Wilhelm Heraeus (1860-1948). In 1899 Küch succeeded in melting large quantities of rock crystal in an oxyhydrogen compressor, forming pure silicon dioxide (SiO2) or quartz glass. A number of qualities make quartz suited to all kinds of laboratory equipment: it lets through ultraviolet rays, has a high temperature resistance, can withstand sudden temperature changes and is resistant to most acids. In 1904 Küch invented
dates back to 1851 when chemist Wilhelm Carl Heraeus (1827-1904) started experimenting with the recycling of platinum wastes from the Hanauer jeweller industry. From 1889 on, his two suns reformed their small handcrafted firm "W.C. Heraeus-Werke" into the nowadays precious metals and technology group Heraeus which, apart from their core business in precious metals, is qualified as the inventor of the UV high-pressure mercury-vapour lamp and as a pioneer in tanning using artificial light sources that produced ultraviolet light identical
the sunray lamp, made of mercury and quartz glass. Mercury-vapour lamps were initially used for lighting large spaces, such as streets and halls, until more powerful metal-wire lamps replaced them. Küch had noticed that close proximity to the lamp caused burns to appear on his face and hands, an effect attributable to the ultraviolet light that penetrated the quartz glass. The permeability for ultraviolet radiation and a temperature resistance as high as 1000 ºC enabled mercury-vapour lamps made from quartz glass to produce a much higher yield of medically effective light (UV radiation in the wavelength range between 400 and 280 nanometers). The healing effects of the lamp made it one of the company's most appealing products. Küch's invention was first used extensively in medical phototherapy. Since than, Heraeus has continuously refined the technical, medical and commercial applications of ultraviolet and infrared light. In order to be better able to take advantage of the potential of their invention, Heraeus and AEG jointly established the firm Quarzlampen GmbH in 1906. The artificial sunray lamp Original Hanau ultimately was developed in close co-operation with medical institutions and physicians like Dr. Hugo Bach (1859-1940), Dr. Med. Albert Jesionek (1870-1935) and Dr. Ernst Kromayer (1862-1933) who also developed a water cooled lamp for nearby skin treatment. The new lamps displayed the same invigorating effects as sunrays in the mountains. A
steadily increasing number of applications in medicine and dermatology, such as total body exposure for invigoration, vitamin D prophylaxis or supportive therapy (of soldiers wounded in World War I in particular), caused quartz glass lamps to become part of the equipment inventory of every hospital and many physicians’ offices.
Your browser prevents playing this flash animation.
© copyright 2005-2016 - extralight.info
In the 1930s the continuous development and the successes of medical phototherapy made Heraeus' the market leader in Germany with their 'Höhensonne' product line. Their brand name Höhensonne even became the generic name for the product, not in the last
place due to the co-operation with the graphic designer Ludwig Hohlwein (1874-1949). In the 1950s, the small Höhensonne advanced to become an electrical consumer item as a tanning lamp that was used in many households. In the late 1970s, artificial sunray lamps increasingly captured the professional tanning market. Today, the successors of the mercury-vapour quartz glass lamps, fitted with sophisticated filtration systems and satisfying the most demanding safety requirements, are found in many tanning salons. Heraeus
Noblelight has continued the Original Hanau tradition since 1992 as part of the Heraeus holding. With tanning tubes and -emitters, electrical components, filters and reflectors, as well as with complete facial tanning units, the Original Hanau SunCare division today is a provider of complete UV solutions and a development partner and an original equipment manufacturer for well-known solarium manufacturers.
Nowadays Heraeus Noblelight GmbH, with its headquarters in Hanau, Germany, and with subsidiaries in the United States, United Kingdom and China, is one of the technology and market leaders in the production of special lighting sources. In 2002, Heraeus Noblelight had an annual turnover of 64 million euros and employed 519 persons worldwide. The company develops, manufactures and markets infrared and ultraviolet lighting sources for applications in manufacture, industrial process technology, environmental protection, medicine and cosmetics, research, development, and analytical laboratories. Its holding, the precious metals and technology group Heraeus, also headquartered in Hanau, is a global, private company involved in precious metals, dental health, quartz glass, sensors and special lighting sources. With sales of € 6,4 billion (2002) and 9.000 employees worldwide in over 100 subsidiaries and associated companies, Heraeus has been a leading company involved in precious metals and materials technology for over 160 years. The history of their famous Hanau sun-lamps ended in the 1970's but still lives in the Heraeus Noblelight infrared- and ultraviolet applications.
In 1891, the brother-in-law of Wilhelm Heraeus, Charles W. Engelhard (1867-1950), had been appointed Heraeus' representative in the United States and soon, co-operating with the works at Hanau, he became the leading figure in the U.S. platinum industry. Over the years he build himself an imperium with interests in concerns that were engaged in the melting and refining of platinum, gold, silver and their associated metals, in the fabrication of various commercial and scientific articles utilising these materials and in their marketing all over the world. Just
England. Both companies produced sun-lamps in close co-operation with Heraeus and their common roots can easily be determined from similarities in their early logos.
Manufacturing Company in Newark, New Jersey and in 1924 the Hanovia Ltd. lamp division was established at Slough, Buckinghamshire,
like, or maybe due to, Hereaus he also was involved in sun-lamp production. In 1905 Englehard incorporated Hanovia Chemical and